শনিবার, ১৬ মার্চ, ২০১৩

Five Tips for Keeping Student Loans As Low As Possible | Clutch ...

Student Loans

I?m a 21-year-old senior in college and this year, I?ll be graduating without any student loans. Yes, you read that correctly. I have not had to take out a single loan since I?ve been in college. It?s important to note that I don?t come from a wealthy family, but between financial aid, scholarships and working part-time (and full-time during the summer), I?ve been able to attend college full-time without taking any breaks. I understand that not everyone is able to attend college without taking out some sort of loan, so I compiled a few tips for keeping those loans as low as possible.

FAFSA is Everything
Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form is an essential step for anyone planning to attend college. The FAFSA form takes care of it all because as an applicant, you?re considered for every form of financial aid that exists out there. To learn about FAFSA deadlines, different filling options and other information, visit www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Apply Non-stop for Scholarships
I cannot stress the importance of applying for as many scholarships/grants as possible. Sure, the application process can be time-consuming, but if you win, it?s free money that you don?t have to pay back, and many scholarships/grants go unused each year, so why not apply for as many as you can? Some useful websites include www.scholarships.com, www.fastweb.com and www.mycollegedollars.com. Also, be sure to check with your university to see what other scholarships/grants are available.

Tip: Often times, universities have left-over money from the fall/winter semesters and award summer grants to students, which can be incredibly helpful if you take summer classes.

Rent or Purchase Used Textbooks
I wasted so much money on textbooks ($500 each semester to be exact) during my first two years in college. And just in case you?re wondering, I?ve reduced that amount to $95 (not bad, huh?) thanks to Chegg (www.chegg.com), an academic company that offers affordable textbook rentals and free return shipping when the semester ends. In addition to Chegg, I recommend buying used copies of textbooks as well as older editions with the approval of your professor, of course. I once purchased a used, older edition of a textbook for a penny from www.amazon.com, another website I rely on to find great deals on textbooks.

Tip: At the end of each semester, I return any textbooks I purchased on Amazon using their Trade-In program because you can mail in your textbooks at no charge in exchange for an Amazon.com gift card, which I prefer to use toward future textbook purchases.

Work Overtime During the Summer
In college, it can be incredibly difficult and stressful juggling classes, work, extracurricular activities and not to mention, your social life. Adding more hours to your already-hectic schedule during the fall/winter semesters is often unrealistic and overwhelming. That?s why many students (with me being one of them) work like a maniac during the summer by taking on anywhere from 35-40 (or more) hours per week. With all the extra money I earn over the summer, I use it to help pay a portion of my tuition for the upcoming fall semester.

Go At a Slower Pace
Last but not least, and believe me, I understand this option might be unrealistic for many of you (I know it certainly is for me), but many students attend college part-time to avoid taking out loans, which drags out a four-year degree to six or seven years. Of course, it?s not for everybody, but it?s certainly an option.

Clutchettes, what tips do YOU have for keeping student debt low??

Source: http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/03/five-tips-for-keeping-student-loans-as-low-as-possible/

Newton Shooting Newtown Shooting Gangnam Style Ryan Lanza Sandy Hook kanye west Univision

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন